Thursday, May 13, 2010

Cookies-N-Cream Chess Bars

Today is Teacher Appreciation at Taylor's school so I volunteered to bake a dessert.  Normally I like to bake something that I have already made before because I know it is delicious but this time I decided to try something new.  After making them I was kicking myself because they just didn't have that "wow" factor.  My plan was to sneek into the Teacher's Lunchroom and drop it off before anyone saw who made these. LOL  The recipe says to keep them refrigerated so I stuck them in there and hoped this would help them.  Luckily they did.  Jon came home and did a taste test for me.  He said they tasted like a cream cheese brownie.  Thank goodness!!!  The recipe doesn't say how long to refrigerate them but my suggestion is to at least keep them in the fridge for an hour or two before serving them to help the cream cheese set.


1 fudge or chocolate cake mix
4 eggs, divided
1 stick butter, melted
1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, room temp
2 3/4 cups confectioners sugar
1 tsp vanilla
8 to 12 Oreo cookies
  1. Mix cake mix with 1 egg and margarine; press into greased and floured 13x9 pan.
  2. In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat confectioners' sugar with cream cheese, vanilla and 3 eggs until smooth.  Pour about 2/3 of the topping mixture onto the cake mixture;  sprinkle with crumbled oreos (or chocolate chips for polka dot chess squares) then pour remaining mixture evenly over crumbs.  Bake in a preheated 325 over for about 50 to 60 minutes, or until topping is lightly browned. (took mine 50 minutes)  Cool thoroughly and cut into bars.
  3. KEEP REFRIGERATED!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment