Saturday, March 20, 2010

Chicken Pomodoro

I found this recipe years ago on the Body for Life website.  Its really good and healthy for you.  I love the crust the seasonings make on the chicken.  Jon and I also did fish this way and it was very tasty and satisfying!

8 oz angel hair pasta (I used whole wheat pasta.)
2 egg whites
4 tsp Mrs. Dash Tomato Basil Garlic Seasoning
1/4 cup reduced fat Parmesan cheese, grated
1 lb chicken breasts
2 TBSP olive oil
3 tomatoes, diced (or one 15 oz can)
1 green bell pepper, sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
3/4 tsp Italian herb seasoning
4 Tbsp red wine or chicken broth
  1. Prepare angel hair pasta according to its package directions.
  2. In a medium mixing bowl, lightly beat the egg whites.  In a pie plate, combine the Mrs. Dash seasoning and Parmesan cheese. (I actually put my seasoning into a gallon sized zip lock bag, threw the chicken in after dipping in the egg whites and smooshed together to coat.  Easier and less of a mess!)
  3. Dip chicken into egg whites then into the seasoned Parmesan, coating both sides.
  4. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Place chicken breasts in skillet; cover and cook for approx 6 minutes; turn and cook for 6 more minutes until no longer pink in the center.  Then reduce heat to low.
  5. Lightly coat another large skillet with cooking spray; saute tomatoes and bell peppers over medium heat until the peppers begin to soften, approx 3 minutes. (It took me a lot longer than 3 minutes!)   Stir in Italian seasoning and red wine, continue to cook for 2 minutes.
  6. Add pasta to the skillet with sauteed tomatoes and peppers; mix gently.
  7. Remove chicken from skillet, let cool slightly, then slice. (I cut my chicken in slices before I put in the egg whites and seasoning and cooked them in the strips.)
  8. Put over the pasta and Enjoy!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment