2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar (reserve 1/2 cup until the end. Sometimes the apples are sweet enough and you don't need the other 1/2. I did end up adding it but I like them sweet and probably could have added more.)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp table salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
2 extra large eggs
1 1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup melted butter
1 cup peeled, chopped apples (granny smith's or gala)
1/2 cup chopped nuts
- Stir together flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Mix in eggs, applesauce, and butter.
- Next add the apples and nuts.
- Now taste. If you want it sweeter add the remaining 1/2 cup sugar.
- Spoon into muffin pan and bake at 350 for approx 15-20 minutes or when toothpick comes out clean.
A tip my mom gave me was not to stir the mix too much or it won't come out too fluffy. Stir until it's just moistened. Thanks Chef Lynn!