1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 1/4 lbs ground skinless turkey
4 slices whole-wheat bread, made into fine crumbs
1/2 cup fat free milk
1 egg white, lightly beaten
3 tbsps ketchup
2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh basil OR 1/2 tsp dried
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350; spray an 8x5 inch loaf pan with nonstick spray. In a small nonstick skillet, heat the oil. Saute the onion until tender, 4-5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine the onion, turkey, bread crumbs, milk, egg white, ketchup, cheese, garlic, basil, thyme, and pepper; blend well. Shape into a loaf and transfer to the pan. Bake until browned and cooked through, 50-60 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes, then cut into 8 slices.
Per serving (1 slice): 181 cal, 9 fat, 1 g fiber Points value: 4
1/2 cup plain fat-free yogurt
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
1 garlic clove, crushed
1/8 tsp salt
2 tsp olive oil
1 1/2 onions, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 carrot, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
4 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/2 lb lean ground beef
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup tomato paste
1 cup water
4 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
1 carrot, shredded
4 (6 in) corn tortillas, lightly toasted and cut into 4 triangles each
3/4 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
- To prepare the dressing, in a small bowl combine the yogurt, cilantro, sour cream, crushed garlic, and salt; let stand 30 minutes.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil. Saute about 2/3 of the onions and the minced garlic until the onion is translucent, 6-8 minutes. Add the chopped carrot, bell pepper, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and cayenne; cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Add the beef, breaking it apart with a wooden spoon. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, and water; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the beef is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid evaporates, about 15 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine the lettuce, shredded carrot,, and 1/4th of the cilantro dressing; toss to coat.
- To serve, divide the lettuce mixture among 4 plates; top with the meat, then surround with the tortilla triangles. Serve, sprinkled with the cheese and remaining onion and drizzled with the dressing.
Per serving (1 salad): 357 cal, 12 g fat, 9 g fiber Points value: 7